Monday, June 22, 2015

weeks 4 & 5- Portmore

June 22, 2015

(I asked Daniel to share his thoughts on marriage and the state of the family as a unit of society in Jamaica.  Derek & I are speaking about marriage at youth conference on Thursday.)

My thoughts on marriage-

Marriage between a man and a woman creates the fundamental unit of society.  There is no better way to raise a nation than in the homes of its families.  If you try to find a better way to raise the next generation, you will fail.  Family and marriage has been established from the beginning.  It is ordained of God, and will ever be the only way to true happiness.

I have seen the effects of the deterioration of the family during my time here in Jamaica.  Jamaica displays a culture that cannot be found anywhere else in the world.  It began as slaves brought across the ocean from Africa.  They were later emancipated and Jamaica was nourished by England.  They gained their independence around fifty years ago.  Their roots have not been ones that foster marriage and family.  Although the majority of the island is Christian, the devil has his playground on the old "slave mentality" that was created.  Marriage and family was not a thing among the slaves, and it has not been a priority ever since. 

The Family Proclamation states in its second to last paragraph that nations will suffer through the deterioration of the family.  Come to Jamaica and you will see the affects of people not getting married. There are teenage girls all over the place with young children and no father around to take care of them. They become stuck in a downward spiral because they can't pursue an education and work and take care of the kids at the same time very well.  It is not just the mother that is affected, but the children suffer too. They grow up with no father and take on the same mentality of their parents. 
I do not speak for everyone in Jamaica, but the majority live like this. 

I know that as we follow the laws of God and are married and raise families as He has directed us, we will find joy and our communities and nations will receive His approval and be blessed. 

I am out of time. I will tell you about my week when I get home. 
I love you guys!

Love, Elder Pullan

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
June 15th, 2015 
Hey Fam,

This week has been great.  Stake Conference was yesterday in Spanish Town.  I was able to attend both the adult session on Saturday, and the Sunday session.  Elder Gammiet from the area presidency addressed us, along with Stake President Lieu and President Brown.  I got to see a lot of my friends from Boulevard and from Linstead.  I have been serving in the stake since the day it was created, so I knew a lot of the people there.   
Elder Sullivan and I have been doing good work and having a good time.  Portmore has been hot and mosquito infested as usual.
I am having some mixed feelings as my mission draws to a close.  I have loved my mission.  It has changed both me and the course of my life.  I now know that the Church is true.  I know that Christ is at the head of this organization, and that he called Joseph Smith through a miraculous vision in a sacred grove near 200 years ago.  I know that the Book of Mormon is true.  I have seen these truths change lives time and time again.  The first life it changed has been my own.  I am so grateful for this.  I love my mission.  
The work marches forward as usual. I love you all. I will keep working hard to the very end.  
Nathan- Great job doing missionary work. That is fantastic. Keep it up!
Love, E. Pullan

5 comments: