Monday, November 10, 2014

week #26 -Linstead

Hello Fam!


This week was really good.  We did not find a whole lot of what some might call success, but we were able to teach some good lessons, have the spirit with us, and uplift those around us.  I call that success. 

Nelly's funeral was on Saturday.  It took place at a Baptist church down on church road.  It was a very interesting experience.  The church had an electric organ, a decent choir, a groovy organist who never stopped bobbing his head the whole service, and a very loud pastor.  It was cool to see the way that some people worship.  I was able to see some of the "good feelings" that these people liked during the service, but one thing was missing.  The spirit.  The spirit was not present in the service.  It lacked that quiet warm peace you feel as the sacrament is passed.  It lacked the teaching-learning environment that we all need so much.  I sat through the pastor's sermon as he yelled about two verses from Revelations and managed not to learn a single thing.  This pastor managed to spend twenty minutes on two verses and repeat himself over and over using different verbage.  It was ridiculous. Nothing gained.  Nothing learned.  That is why everyone needs the fullness of the gospel. People seek light and truth, and many times they end up somewhere where they can feel small bits of it (like in the baptist church), but never find the joy and depth that Christ's true church has.  I know that our church is true.  Not just from growing in it, but from praying, asking God, gaining my own answers, and of course, having it all backed by experience.  I know that keeping God's commandments brings happiness.  I hope that all will take the time to figure it out for themselves.  Nothing can bring more happiness.

Another story of the week- Elder Jernigan and I went over to Sis. Rattigan's house. Her mother was there. I am pretty good friends with her mom. Her mom is a sweet old lady who loves to talk to us, and is always funny to talk to.  I call her "moomy".  I talked to moomy for a bit, then she looked me in the eye and said "I wish that I was younger so that you could marry me".  I turned and began to laugh.  I really didn't know what to say.  I ended up going with, "I guess its not going to work out moomy".  Haha.  I love moony.  I have met so many great people here.

That is my week for you.  I love you all.  I am doing great. 

Take care,
Love,
Elder Pullan

No comments:

Post a Comment