Wednesday, October 15, 2014

week #22 -Linstead

My week. Was crazy. Here it is for you . Read on.

Our week was kicked off with our top investigator, Nelly, dying in our arms on Tuesday. Nelly was a 60 year old lady in poor health that we had been teaching. She was progressing towards her baptismal date and was actually going to make it. I was in a tripanionship with Elder Jernigan and Elder Biddulph because Elder Kemp was at the District Leader training in Kingston. We offered to give Nelly a blessing when we heard she was sick. When we gave her the blessing, she was not looking very good. Her breathing was heavy and she was cold. We left and started to talk with a former investigator next door, when we saw Nelly's sister and a taxi-man trying to move Nelly into a taxi to take her to the Hospital. Nelly's legs gave out and she dropped to the floor. We ran over to try and help only to hear the taxi driver say "Oh, she's dead." Elder Jernigan is CPR certified and he knows a lot about this stuff, so we rolled her over and began to give her chest compressions while Elder Biddulph called an ambulance.  (According to Elder Jernigan, giving mouth to mouth is not safe or recommended unless you have a breathing apparatus).  The emergency number (119) didn't answer so we called the local police.  They said that they would send someone.  Elder Biddulph managed to flag down some cops on the road who were able to come up and take Nelly away (the ambulance and the cops we called for never did show. I would hate to be deathly ill in Jamaica).  We gave her compressions to try to keep her alive until the cops came, but I think whatever good we did only lasted for about five minutes.  By the time the cops showed, she was long gone. 

That is the first event of the week for you.  I can't say that I wasn't a little traumatized for a day or two, but I'm ok now.  I felt a little depressed for about two days after, but I worked hard and worked through it.  Elder Jernigan is doing ok too. 

Elder Jernigan got Chikengunya - a crazy disease that is rampant in the Carribean now (don't worry, its not fatal)-  later in the week.  I spent all saturday inside with him.  I pretty much drew all day long.  I love days like those.  He stayed home with Elder Biddulph on Sunday.  He is doing better now though.

I managed to get bit by a dog last night too.  Elder Kemp and I went to the Hospital and I spent the whole evening tying down a tetanus shot for myself.  Public Health Care here is slow and terrible.  I ended up waiting three hours for a shot and a bandaid.  Getting the shot and the wound cleaned only took something under two minutes.  The bite is not bad and I am ok.

It seems like when crazy things happen, they are always packed close together in the same week.  I would prefer that they were a little more spread out to be honest.  It would keep things more interesting that way.

None of our investigators came to church this Sunday because everyone is sick.  We have a few good investigators, but I think that we are going to have to make some changes and drop some people this week, then see what we can do with our members down on Church Road and in Jew Pen. We will see how it goes.

That is my week for you.  I don't want any of you to worry though.  I am ok.  I am doing great.  I am not too traumatized.  The dog bite was small.  There is nothing to worry about.
I am happy and doing well.  This week has been a little out of the ordinary, but I can't complain.  

I love you all.
I hope you are doing well.
Keep up the good work.
Seriously mom. Don't worry about me. I am ok. 

Love, Elder Pullan

No comments:

Post a Comment